Monday, October 7, 2013

Katharine's birth story



Finally a time when everyone except me is sleeping in the house. :) Perfect time to write about Katharine's birth. I had worked Labor Day weekend a 4 day stretch of 12 hour shifts. For months now I've been trying to get a day or at least a couple hours off here and there on my long work stretches, but that weekend I  didn't cause I thought if anything will bring on labor it would be working. But the each day came and went and still no water breaking and no intense contractions. On Tuesday morning I came home from work and went straight to bed exhausted. I was 39 2/7 weeks and I had my weekly midwife appointment at 2:20pm that day so I knew I should try getting some sleep. At about 1pm, I woke with a pretty intense contraction. I got up and went to the bathroom, thinking it was just that my bladder was full because for months that has brought on contractions that go away after going to the bathroom. So I went back to bed thinking nothing of it. Then I woke with another strong contraction at 1:15pm. Then again at 1:30 and then I knew that this was it. I heard Daniel and Henry just coming home and met them downstairs. I told Daniel that I thought this was it. He didn't believe me but by the next contraction I was convinced. They were coming every 8 to 10 minutes and felt different than before. Daniel mobilized the troops, calling Matt and Ember, our friends who so kindly came to watch Henry. Matt quickly left work and was at our house by 2pm. The other half of the troops were Daniel's parents who left Waukon, Iowa (about a 3 hour drive) to come stay the night with Henry. As Daniel was preparing all of this, I went upstairs to read Henry books and lay him down for his nap. I had a couple sets of contractions during his bedtime routine and had to sway side to side during one of them. Henry asked "Why are you dancing mommy?" :) I explained to him that I thought the baby was coming. I called to talk to my midwife and she said to skip the appointment and just come in to the Birth Center. I was sure that the baby would come that night, but I thought I had at least 6 hours or so ahead of me because my water hadn't even broke. Wondering if I was heading to the hospital too early, I decided, with how quickly Henry came, I just wanted to be safe and get there.

We got to Hudson Hospital (about a mile from our house) around 3:30pm. They hooked me up to monitors and watched how Katharine's heartbeat responded to several sets of contractions. After taking vitals, they let me get up and walk around a bit. I started walking the halls around 4pm I think and it definitely got the contractions going. I was having a lot of back labor where I felt the contractions mostly in my back. In the hallway I had a pretty intense contraction and they were coming faster together. That's when I knew I was progressing. We went back to the room and Liz Barry-Jensen, my midwife, came in to check me -- 6cm she said. That was a relief because I felt pretty intense contractions and didn't know how much longer I could endure them. Liz said she had to go pump and then she'd come right back. She and I both thought we were still hours away from delivering. I then started having more intense contractions and mumbled to Daniel that I thought I'd have her soon. The nurse, Kristen, heard this and asked me what I meant. I told her I was starting to feel like pushing. She called Liz back to the room and just as Liz was arriving a contraction started. I had no idea that at the beginning of the contraction that it would be the one I would push her out, but as it built I gave one big push, not even consciously, but just as a reflex like sneezing, and could feel her head come out. I don't even think Liz had her gloves on yet. Then the contraction ended, but her head was out so I gave another push and out came her shoulders. Crazy fast and so glad Liz got back in time!


Daniel and I were so excited to finally meet our GIRL! She came out and looked so much like me with her dark hair and dark skin, which was so different than when I first laid eyes on Henry's blond hair and fair skin. But just like Henry, Daniel and I both felt like we could stare at her forever and it still wouldn't be enough. :) I just wanted to keep soaking up her tiny features and beautiful face. Daniel and I were both in love.


Within minutes Daniel's parents arrived and then went to the house to get Henry. Matt escorted them to the hospital because of all the construction and brought us a pizza -- what a guy! Daniel's parents stayed for a bit with Henry and then took him home for the night and watched him while Daniel, Katharine and I stayed in the hospital -- what wonderful grandparents! We were discharged the next day around dinner time.


Henry fell in love with her right away, but it took a good while to settle in with the change (we're still settling). We had multiple daily timeouts and lots of tears -- his and mine. But every day he adjusts to the new family more and more. Less timeouts and less tears from both of us. :)




Thanks Kenny and Shirley for helping us out so much and watching Henry!


The new normal bedtime routine now :)

That post only took about a month to finish, but it was a long one in my defense. It might take you just as long to read. :) More soon on my mom and sister's visits and on how amazing Katharine is!  

No comments:

Post a Comment