Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The name "lowercase n"



Just in case you're curious about our blog name, it came to be because Daniel vividly remembered this song from Sesame Street from his childhood. Over 4 years now, Daniel wrote me this in an e-mail:

"the more that i think about it the more that i realize that you are an 'n.' think about this for a moment. a person that is so rare you can't even describe them as a type. they are so complex and liberated from social conditioning that they defy conventional psychology. the only way that one can describe them is to give them a symbol, or in this case, a letter. 'n.'"

I found it to be one of the most endearing compliments I've ever received. He wrote this to me as a friend, but as time passed, he swept me off my feet with e-mails and conversations as endearing and romantic as this one. And he wonders why I love him? :)

So now we're having "another lowercase n"! Here's hoping we can cultivate a little being that is "so rare that you can't even describe them as a type." Here's hoping we raise a little person that is "liberated from social conditioning" and "defies conventional psychology." A little one that comes up with their own way of life, whatever that may be. A little lowercase "n."

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Yeah! I am so glad you have a blog now! I am really looking forward to keeping up with you! You look so cute pregnant! Tell Daniel I said hello! We hope to see you guys sometime!! Love Marcie, Mike and Louis

Anna said...

Daniel- I have a feeling that this song is dating you quite a bit.

Post a Comment